Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 24 (9/28)
Yesterday blogger wasn’t working, we spent a lot of time in class, and had a painfully long 4 hour lab with excel its all just a blur.

This morning, bright and early, we went out on a traveling field lecture. We all climbed into the Land Cruisers and popped out of the hatches and had about 5 stops, 2 of which we got out and the others we listened to the professors talk for 15-30 minutes per stop. We were shown the swamps versus the rangeland and the differences between them. The last stop I was sitting in the land cruiser because it was cooler than standing. So out of nowhere this Maasai man came up to the open window to say hi to me…in the middle of the lecture. I was trying to take notes and talk to the man, at one point he wanted to trade a bracelet he had for my watch. Everyone here loves watches. For a while he stayed by my window and it was a little awkward taking notes while he was hanging out at my window but Kenyans don’t have the same boundaries that Americans do.

We had another lab in the afternoon with excel but it wasn’t bad, really quick. We hung out for the rest of the day and tomorrow we are going to jump with the Maasai at Amboseli (basically a lecture on tourism and how it affects the modernization of culture) I will expand later. AND then we are going to an amazing 5-star lodge’s hotel. With CHEESE and CRACKERS! And desserts galore and chicken and tons of amazing food and I am SO excited!

Chessy found a baby black mamba on the path tonight. An askari chopped it in half though so everything is good again. Its about 1/50th of how small I thought it would be. It is maybe 1/2 cm wide and 5 inches long, silvery/gray and just extremely tiny. I was keeping an eye out for a massive cobra sized snake but its good to know they can be so small...and the smallest ones are the deadliest because young snakes can't control the venom they release. wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment