Sunday, September 20, 2009

mzungo

Day 16 (9/19)
This morning we went to church, I decided to go to the Catholic one (vs. Protestant) and it was actually a lot of fun. There was a lot of singing and Swahili. They translated the general message to us in English, but mostly it was singing and some preaching; lots and lots of dancing. Cecily and I just did what the people in front of us did and the people around us loved that we were dancing. The service lasted 2 hours (vs. the Protestant that turned into a 3 hour service) and at the end we all went out of the church, everyone wanted to shake our hands and talk to us. We played with a ton of children and spoke to them in Swahili (again everyone was very amused that we knew some Swahili), we also taught them how to high-five. They LOVED it. We must have had about 30 kids circled around us trying to high-five us all.

After church we headed to Club Kimana and ate lunch, had some drinks; then around 1:30 I decided to go back to camp and get some things done. I literally got all of my laundry done, even my sheets. I’m not sure if anyone has ever tried to wash sheets by hand…I suggest everyone try it at least once. It’s a barrel of monkeys.

Okello just made an announcement about how the drought it affecting all of the animals behavior. Snakes especially because they go towards wet areas and the drought is drying up the rivers where they usually reside. Well, it turns out our camp is a great new habitat because we have water and in our banda it is warmer then outside. I think it was a friendly reminder to check our beds before we get in, and be aware about what is around you because every snake here is deadly enough to kill you. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment